Erika’s recap: ‘Ballroom night’ on Dancing with the Stars
By Erika Hollis
Foxtrot. Tango. Cha-cha-cha. Jive. These are just four of the dances to be featured in Season 25 of “Dancing with the Stars” (DWTS).
I started watching the show when it debuted in June 2005. I had just finished middle school and was starting high school shortly after. I was hooked from the moment I started watching it and I still am 12 years later.
My first favorite professional dancer on the show was Derek Hough. Then, as I got older, I started understanding Maksim Chmerkovskiy (Maks) and then Valentin Chmerkovskiy (Val). I even went to “Sway” in Miami and the Maks & Val Live tour in Spartanburg.
Almost every season, I have had a favorite celebrity, like Meryl Davis. I’ve pulled for a lot of the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon stars that appeared on the show, since I’m a 90s baby.
My top three couples after watching the first show would be Mark and Lindsey, Jordan and Lindsay, and Alan and Debbie.
Alan Bersten was promoted to professional this season, making him the first male pro to be added since Artem Chigvintsev and Keo Motsepe.
Episode two airs at 8 p.m. tonight on ABC. Celebrities and professionals will participate in ballroom dances and one couple will be eliminated.
Tuesday at 9 p.m., another couple will be eliminated after performing Latin dances.
USC Upstate’s Hispanic Awareness Association will host Latin Fest 2017 Tuesday at 6 p.m. in the University Readiness Center Great Room and Atrium. There will be free food, music, and dancing. Students are encouraged to dress nicely and attendees not affiliated with Upstate will be charged $5.
Erika’s notes after the first episode:
• Cheryl and Terrell (T.O.): Cheryl has won two times on the show and Terrell Owens is a former NFL player known for his touchdown dances.
• Alan and Debbie: This is Alan’s first time being a professional dancer on the show and Debbie Gibson was an 80s icon.
• Gleb and Sasha: Gleb was on the show when it first started. Sasha starred on “Pretty Little Liars” and her parents are professional ballroom and Latin dancers.
• Emma and Drew: Emma won her first mirrorball trophy last season and Drew is one half of the Property Brothers.
• Keo and Barbara: Keo was the first professional dancer from South Africa on the show. Barbara is on “Shark Tank” with other business professionals. She’s also the cougar of this season (poor Keo).
• Lindsay and Jordan: Lindsay has never won a mirrorball trophy. Jordan is best known for playing Seacat on “Teen Beach,” playing Holden Dippledorf on “Liv and Maddie,” and he just starred in Broadway’s “Hamilton,” where he played John Laurens and Philp Hamilton. Jordan also creates his own music.
• Peta and Nick: I love how Peta teases Maks about how many mirrorballs she has. Peta and Maks got married this past summer. Nick is best known for the boyband “98 Degrees.”
• Maks and Vanessa: Maks won his mirrorball with Season 18 winner, Meryl Davis. Vanessa is famous for hosting “Total Request Live” (TRL) that used to be on MTV. So, the producers are already pushing the storyline spouses against each other.
• Witney and Frankie: Witney has won a mirrorball with Alfonso. Frankie was famous for his main role as Malcolm on “Malcom In The Middle.” He drove racecars professionally after acting. Frankie said he was nervous just watching last season of DWTS.
• Artem and Nikki: Artem has not won any mirrorballs yet but I love that he is still so happy. Nikki is a World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (WWE) star.
• Sharna and Derek: Sharna is so excited and determined. Derek is a former LA Lakers star and he coaches now.
• Val and Victoria: Val has won two seasons of DWTS. Victoria is an ESPN host and she also competed in the London Paralympics games.
• Mark and Lindsey: So happy Mark and his creativeness is back. I have missed it and it inspires me. Lindsey is an electric violinist who dances while she performs. She has played music on DWTS before.
See the cast’s official portraits here.